'Nother update

Received this yesterday in my email from Habitat for Humanity:
Habitat plans to pilot this "home in a box" project at the end of this month in Jackson, Miss. Through this component of Operation Home Delivery, you may be able to volunteer in your own community to help the families who lost their homes and so much more. Please check our Web site,www.habitat.org, later this month to learn more about how you can organize a build in your community.

Additional volunteering opportunities will become available later in the year or early 2006, when conditions on the ground allow for the permanent house reconstruction to begin and affiliates start unfolding their "homes in a box." If your interests are to volunteer in immediate relief-oriented activities, we suggest you contact the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army or any other reputable relief agency.
This was the organization I was interested in working with the most (as it appeals most to my interests, skills, etc.), but I can’t really wait until the end of the year.  Needless to say I was a bit bummed when I read it.

Then I saw a press conference on CNN where John Dangan, a public affairs official with the Red Cross, requested people sign up at their local chapters to be trained so they can be sent to the Gulf States to help out.  He said they were in need of 40,000 new volunteers to handle the crisis.  Granted, I’ve already contacted my local chapter once (actually twice, but who’s counting), but I’m going to contact them again on Monday and see what develops.  

If anyone is interested in volunteering, I’ll be posting a link list to various organizations on my other sites as soon as they’re up.  I’d do it here, but that would mean reformatting this site, and frankly, it’s not worth it since the other ones are almost up.



On another note:

The other sites I’m working on (there are 3 now) are coming along pretty well.  I’ll post the links to them soon.

This site (Journeys) was originally created for the sole purpose on documenting my road trips(s), not as a daily journal of sorts.  So as soon as the other ones are up and running, I’ll discontinue updating this one until I actually go on a road trip.  But I’ll continue using this one until the others are up and running.


Ciao for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous :

Good for you! I would love to do some work with Habitat for Humanity. It appears that all of the Reliant Park and George R. Brown residents should be placed in housing (yea!) by the end of next week. At that time, I might contact our local HFH organization to see if they could use me sooner rather than later.

It would be wonderful if you could get suited up with the Red Cross. I think you would be an asset to the organization.


- Previous Post- Previous Post- Previous Post- Previous Post- Previous Post

Home | Stats:  | Site Feed |  | UPDATED:
© 2005 DBM All rights reserved.